Wednesday, October 5, 2011

making sense of faith

I have posted a number of blogs that develop the notion that faith is the sense-making mechanism of the Kingdom mind. That is, faith helps us make sense of our self and the world around us through trusting God's perspective. However, many of us struggle with making sense of faith itself. I know I do. By definition, faith is the assurance of things not seen. Faith does not prove itself through assessing our circumstances. Typical rational thinking does not help us with knowing about our faith. It actually works against "without hope, in hope believed" (Romans 4).

People don't think about this much. Many may not struggle with the question: when is walking "not by sight" really faith and when is it simply delusional? One reason may be how little we really depend on faith rather than our trusted "cause and effect" conclusions based on tangible evidence. I had a Christian friend who would regularly say, "I am a functional atheist." By this he meant he rarely trusted what God had to say and what He had done, but was easily swayed by how things looked to him.

I know the older I get and the more I try to hear God, the less my life fits cultural norms. So when I sense I am called to trust God, things may look a little bizarre. Its easy for carnally minded people to accuse those who are walking by faith as being Pollyanna (only seeing the good) or delusional (only seeing what they want to see) because faith is not born out by circumstantial evidence and legalistic behavioral prescriptions. This reminds me of a cat we used to have. Instead of hiding herself away she would cover her eyes as if to say, "if I can't see you then you can't see me." In other words is faith trusting in the unseen or simply refusing to see reality? Are we rationalizing or are we hearing God?

How DO WE KNOW our actions are of faith?

The account of early Christians may give is us some insight (Acts 4). The Apostles were viewed by the mainstream as trouble makers. They were threatened and told to quit spreading the message of the resurrection of Jesus. Their response included some ideas that may helps us understand when we are walking in faith against the norms of our day.
1.  They claimed they were compelled to act. (South Ala meaning of compelled, "can't not do it").
2.  They reminded themselves that God is Sovereign.
3.  They pointed out that even the Cross was purposed by God.
4.  They recognized they had no power of their own.
5.  They were bold in their actions.
6.  As a result, Grace covered their heart.

Maybe this helps some, but on this one, I find myself still pondering .....

No comments:

Post a Comment