Wednesday, March 23, 2016

changing your view of change

Let's start this discussion on change by asking you this question.

While your motivation to change may depend on the specific change, which of the following best describes what usually causes you to make a change?    _____

A. I feel like I have permission to change
B. I feel I have no choice but to change
C. I see the benefit of changing
D. I understand the reason for the change

Any of you that have heard me lecture or read anything I have written on change would know that the first thing I do is to blow up the prevailing myth about change

The idea that it is in the nature of humans to run from change, to resist it, is not found in any research on change. In fact the opposite is true. It is nature's desire to change that fuels survival and prosperity. It is the dynamic of change that brings spice to life. When you are faced with a choice to do the same thing as always or do something different, you would love to do something different IF.

If there were no risk, if there were no uncertainty of outcome, if there were no struggles with what you need to do differently, you would welcome change.

Where resistance to change enters the human condition is when we feel the change is imposed or when we are not confident that things will be better when we change. So, one thing we do know about change and people's resistance, it is that

Let's go back to the question you answered on your motivation to change. If you selected B, C, or D, then basically you have admitted that to change you must weigh and bear the consequences of the outcomes of the change. If B, then you will hold off punishment or harm. If C, then you or someone else will be better off because of what you do. If D, you have decided that the change is reasonable and fits your idea of how things should be. These are basically sourced in the human condition of social exchange. If I do something, then I expect to receive something of value in return. Each of those three motivations exist to remove or reduce risk of change so that the outcome is what you desire.

It is easy to think our motive has no exchange, like doing something for someone else's benefit or glory. Here are a few questions you can ask to test if exchange is behind your motive.

What does success look like? Am I vested emotionally in the outcome? How will I feel if things don't go as I hope they will? If you find that you could be anxious or elated about the outcome and that you can see success in anyway as related to your effort, then the motive is probably exchange based.

What if change had no risk? Would your motive to change be different?

The first answer, option A, represents a "no risk" motive for change. If I am given permission to change, then the risk is on the person who is granted me the license to change. Isn't that how Grace works?

If we are under Grace, then we should change as we are asked to (not imposed on us) and granted permission to "just do it." Where's my risk? Why would I resist? If we are seeking change from others, shouldn't we give them permission to change rather than tell them to change? Shouldn't we accept the risk of their change in the same way when we are given permission to change by someone in authority of our life?

First of all, this is good change leadership. Secondly, do you see any Spiritual counsel in this?

Certainly worth pondering ....

No comments:

Post a Comment