Friday, June 17, 2011

Being right is just not enough

         

Some people (like me) were designed to seek out the truth in the world around us. My personality profile says I desire to explain the world, not control it. While the passion and competencies to find truth can and have been a benefit many times, there is a downside when it comes to relationships.

One story about my son I remember fondly (hope he doesn't mind me telling it) is when he was in college. I get a call one day from him and he says, "dad, my French professor just slugged me!" That was not a common thing to say so I listened for the explanation. The professor had returned an exam and there was a question marked "wrong" which Doug KNEW was right. Everything inside Doug was saying, "you must bring this to the prof's attention" but Doug's mind was saying "let it ride." However, the truth seeking soul won out and Doug pressed the prof about it. The discussion escalated as Doug followed his prof back to his office where from frustration of not being able to PROVE to the prof he was wrong, Doug finally says, "well, you are just stupid!" The French prof was actually French and the word stupid meant something very different to him, so being severely offended, the prof hauls off and hits Doug.

I can remember thinking (maybe even saying), "what a lesson to learn, being right is just not enough."

I found myself that the constant pursuit of "being right" produces a sense of arrogance that builds a wall between me and others. Its amazing how often we press our point with others until we destroy, or at least disrupt, fellowship with each other. This is particularly true when we pride ourselves on being smart. One lesson that would be good for some of us is to pursue the relationship more than truth. Nothing wrong with being smart and seeking what is true, but real wisdom is knowing how our "being right" feels like control to others, even when that may not really be our intent.   Something to ponder ......

2 comments:

  1. I love this one!! I can so relate... because I am one who prides myself on being "RIGHT" and I have gone to extremes to argue the point. It does hinder relationships, I have found too. And, if you are married to another analytic... then let the fireworks begin! Our pride has to be tamed by the only one who can change us from the inside.

    We were traveling in Ireland many years ago. We had gone into a restaurant with bar for dinner. It was in Oban and we were enjoying the view when we began to hear a loud argument break out around the bar area between several men. In the wonderful Irish brogue we heard a man shout out "I'll not be wrong if I'm right"! That was our favority take-away from trip to Ireland. And now we use it on ocassion (you can imagine when :-)

    ReplyDelete