Thursday, January 2, 2014

My next project

“The leader using the Strategic Option is a conductor bringing music out of a diverse collection of instruments, personalities, and temperaments.”  This statement on strategy and leadership is a Facebook post from a friend who does leadership consulting.  It is generally a feel good statement of leadership that travels well in social media.  My response to him was, “more importantly, the Strategic Option delivers the right music for the audience, music that scratches the itches of their soul.” The way a business’ products and services impact the market is the heart of their strategy.  The leader’s influence on internal inspiration, collaboration, and alignment of resources is obviously important, but if the orchestra plays the WRONG SONG really well, what are the chances for success of the business? The Double Bottom Line (DBL) mandate for any organization is leadership’s requirement to be effective managing the tension between the organization’s ecology (interacting with their external environment) and the organization’s economics (internally mobilizing capital).  


This is my first paragraph of my next book (I have a long way go, hahaha) 
entitled "Winning in a Hostile Environment: the Double Bottom Line mandate"

                               


My last book was focused on the imperatives that constrain personal well-being. This book will focus on the imperatives that constrain business (or any organization) well-being. Organizational imperatives that focus one on internal economic success, while not paying attention to how the "organism" interacts with its external environment, is subject to unseen threats on their ability to survive and thrive.          

                              

While this is not a new message, and I certainly do not have a corner on this concept, I believe I can offer some unique perspectives to business professionals that can enhance their effective leadership.

We'll see, its just another journey I have been called to take :-)

2 comments:

  1. A little late - a LOT late - to this post. A gentle pushback on the comment referenced being a 'feel-good' thought. Remember, the Strategic Option is just one of three posited - each Option (Tactical, Strategic, Transformation) is a response to unique challenges faced by leaders. A fully-orbed leader can discern which response is called for based on the challenge presented. None of the Options can be understood out of context - this is the premise upon which The Leadership Triangle is based.

    Good work, Prof - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it seems everybody has their own view of leadership, my pet peeve is that most perspectives focus only on inspiring people around a vision without regard to the vision. My studies suggest the strategic aspect of leadership is choosing the path to winning, a decision-making role. transformational is the inspirational side so I was just responding to that. After all, my 5% is Disrupter, which I think is a curse. You guys doing good, I just keeping you honest :-)

      Delete