Thursday, February 17, 2011

Seeing life thru the eyes of God - contrasting paradigms

In the past couple of years I have been inspired to consider Grace from a whole new angle. I had always thought the core of the Gospel was me becoming a servant and serving Christ and extending His grace to others. I am beginning to learn that the heart of the Gospel is that Christ serves me ("if you Peter do not let me wash your feet, then you will have no part of me") and thus having received Him, we walk abounding in Thanksgiving. This is so hard because our nature is constrained to respond to receiving with obligation, not thanksgiving. I will use Social Exchange Theory and Equity Theory to explain how our flesh (our human nature) constrains our sense-making in such a way that we must reject love (God's and other humans). We lose control when we are obligated to respond to what is given to us. Obligation fosters fear, guilt and shame. Lots more to say about this, plus how humans' preiminent concern for justice produces similar assault on our making sense of life thru the eyes of God (probably the title of the book)

No comments:

Post a Comment