Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Who is driving the justice bus?

 Ever since I heard the words, "justice is man's preeminent concern," in a Ph D Org Psychology class, I have been curious about its implication for Christians. The field of psychology is very clear on the meaning of justice. It is based on social exchange, which is the basic human need for balanced exchange or reciprocity. I researched justice in writings of antiquity and found the same idea. It's been the same forever, until now. The current narratives on justice are way off base. No social justice advocate demands reciprocity. The justice bus has left the station claiming those who have not, should get more and those with a lot, should give away what they have to those who have not. So, my first issue was how meaningless the public cry for social justice was in terms of what justice means historically. 


Of course this bothered me some, but not near as much as watching the Christian church try to catch up with the justice bus and become its driver. I had been quite watchful of how justice was represented by the church and worldview ministries. The epiphany I had when I heard the words about mankind's obsession with justice was, "that's why man cannot embrace grace." You see, justice is human nature seeking equilibrium, grace is a disequilibrium where God's justice does not lead to giving man what he deserves. The human condition cannot handle disequilibrium. Jesus emptied Himself of His privilege to be equal to God, humbled Himself by taking on the form of man, and going to the cross (unjustly, for He did nothing wrong) to take care of God's justice. God is still just, but He found a way through His love to satisfy His justice.

This is where I stay in hot water with the institutional church and most Christians, who tend to see justice the same way society does.

Man's deeply seated idea of justice just doesn't fit with grace. In fact man's desire to produce justice is at the heart of the fall. I blogged about this in "and the serpent said." I can't let this go for some reason. I see it as core to why Western society doesn't see the church any differently than the secular world. In fact they see the church behind when it comes to justice. That may be why church conferences lead with the theme, "the church has fallen behind in the cultural battle against injustice."

The church wants to drive society's justice bus?

Here's what I do that makes most Christians, especially pastors, shun me. I just ask questions about soundbites popular in both secular and Christian narratives. Like this

“do justice” (is this one of the 10 commandments? Where does Jesus mention justice? Is justice a ‘fruit of the Spirit’?)

 "large swaths of the church still do not see ‘doing justice’ as part of their calling as individual believers."  Tim Keller on Biblical justice - do you realize that God's justice was compelled to destroy Babylon (secular society)? Is that what "doing justice" is?  

“all men are created equal” (in what way?)

“that’s not fair” (why should it be?)

“fair share” (who determines ‘fair’?)

“what’s right about rights?”  (where do rights come from?)

“what’s right, what’s wrong?” (who is the judge?)

Asking these questions about oft used cliches can begin to introduce a view of justice from God's perspective. To begin to move others to a Kingdom view of justice (starting with the church), we can go see what the Bible actually says. Here's a few examples:

And the serpent said .. “you can be like God. You can be the judge of right and wrong.” Isn't this known as 'The Great Mistake,' which leads to spiritual death?

Jesus said, “Those that are put down and put out by the world because they identify with me are so very fortunate (blessed – makarios).”  Where’s the justice in this? Didn’t Jesus live a life of injustice?

Paul said, “Do not fashion yourself after the world’s system but have a transformed identity. This is your spiritual service”   wow, you mean identity transformation gets my Garden of Eden privileges back?

I can spend so much time on this topic (and have actually through many blogs). The bottom line is not that the secular world is so confused because it misapplies its greatest obsession. It's that Christians and their church fail to honor the Cross and the grace behind it. The Christian church buys in to the secular narrative (with a little religious twist) and distorts what justice really means. 

Here's a summary of my narrative on justice that I wish were taken to the world by the church:

“God alone is just. Inheriting my identity from Adam & Eve condemns me forever. I deserve it. I want to be THE judge. I'm obsessed with 'doing justice.' I’m doomed. That’s His justice. We are ALL CREATED EQUAL in this regards, no matter how feeble or fabulous the flesh is. It is God’s mercy and grace (agape love) on the cross that privileges me against all odds. My righteousness (God’s verdict of approval) is imputed on me from Jesus’ righteousness (God’s just response to His Son’s perfection). 

To put man in charge of God’s justice and make justice achievable by man’s pursuit diminishes the wonder of the Cross. My generosity, kindness, patience, mercy and such extended to others is not ‘doing justice’, but a natural response flowing from an identity in Christ."

Righteousness is the action of the judge (God) on my behalf not my actions on behalf of the judge (God).

My righteousness or what many think of as "doing justice" is “necessarily” appropriating God’s action that belongs to me (Luther's idea of 'necessity').

What do you think the main stream media would do with this? It can't be any worse than what they do to Christians who are trying to drive the secular justice bus.

Maybe you can get off that bus and carry the cross to the world? You might get a "WOW" rather than a yawn.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment