Sunday, May 10, 2020

"Can I trust you with my love?"

When we are pursuing a loving relationship, the most important and often asked question we have of the other person is, "if I give you my heart, can I trust you?" It's not surprising that too often the Christian approaches God this way. We profess, "I'll join, if I know you will deliver." We seek to know if He is trustworthy, not vice versa. What if the title of this blog were the question God is asking you?

Have you pondered that?

I have just been listening to a sermon by Jon Tyson, pastor of The Church of the City NY, on faithfulness. It was one of the best sermons I've heard. I thought I'd share a few points he made that are worth repeating and pondering:

"unfaithfulness" is
       a life controlled by the shifting winds of circumstances
       mistakes circumstances for the person

"faithfulness" is
      a relational orientation
      about who we love
      a lover's loyalty, not a worldview belief
      enjoying the One who loves you, not a duty to the rules
      functional trust, not theological proficiency
      confessing (deeply align with) Christ vs. professing (publicly endorsing) Christ

"where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is tested"   Luther

Faithfulness is "loving what God loves"
     His Word
     His Kingdom
     His Glory

"Can I trust you with my love?" is not the question you should ask God, but the question He puts in front of you when He invites you to be His treasured possession.

That's pondering material .....
     


No comments:

Post a Comment