Thursday, October 11, 2018

A logic path to finding 'self'

One of the most demanding questions people must answer about themselves is "why am I here?" That is why "The Purpose Driven Life" was such a popular book and course of study. However, even before this, the human condition must answer the question, "who am I?" Obviously we usually know certain facts about ourselves, such as our name, where we were born, who are our parents and ancestors. If this information is lacking, it is likely there is a psychological void that must be filled. Orphans and adopted people seek answers to settle any anguish about their identity. Businesses have sprung up recently to benefit from the human need to know more about their identity from their heritage. Cultural movements that make it normal to change one's sexual identity are growing and being challenged. You might say there is a growing confusion around identity. It is a mainstream topic in the study of human psychology.

At the very heart of how any person answers questions about their identity is the core assumption that biases each person's view of their identity. Here is a diagram that depicts the options a person has concerning their core assumption about their identity.


Let's follow each path and see what we can learn.

First, we must assume the source of our identity. Do WE determine for ourselves who we are or not? If we assume we determine our own identity we must be able to answer questions like, "how can I determine me before there is a me?" and "what role did  play in selecting the sperm and egg that united to make me me?" and "did I get to pick my parents or where and when I was born?" The answer to these are obviously 'no.' So, if I assume I determine my identity, then I must assume it is malleable, or socially constructed. I must assume my identity is formed throughout my life and has nothing to do with my birth.

If I assume my identity does flow from my birth, then I either assume there is a creator behind all this or there is not. If there is not a creator, then the creative force that brought me into existence is random or unidentifiable. While parents participate in my creation, are they the creators? After all, they basically just engaged in procreative sex. Everything about the source of my identity is unknown and forever will be.

If I assume there is a creator, then there must be some identifiable creative source that beckoned me into existence. This creative force acted to determine everything about me at birth that identifies me distinctive from everyone else.

The remaining question is whether this creator was intentional at all about my purpose, a key component of identity. If not, I can then rely on my social setting to help me determine my purpose. I can somewhat morph into what makes the most sense to me because the creative force had no say in and doesn't care how I think, feel, and act.

Alas, if there is a distinct creator of me and this creative force has set within me their purpose for me, then no aspect of my identity is up to me to determine. My biological attributes were determined for me and my soul's reason for being was also. Instead of working on determining my identity, I must work on discovering what the creative force and what was determined about me.

Answering the questions about my identity flows from the assumption or bias I have about identity. This is a psychological problem to solve. The issue of identity becomes theological when I consider where God fits in my assumptions about identity.

Whereas many theologians and pastors wish to start with theology, I think it is a better process to see the psychological logic paths we must understand and then place on that conclusion our view of God, which may be no view.

At least this approach to pondering identity does not require a theology to get started, making the process open to all regardless of religious persuasion ....

Using the exploration of core assumptions is very exciting. You can do a lot of this in my recent book

https://www.amazon.com/b4Worldview-there-are-ONLY-TWO/dp/1719372462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529795241&sr=8-1&keywords=b4worldview%20caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment