Sunday, April 19, 2015

"I have moved past religion"

Several times I have had friends respond to something I post with the words, "I have moved past religion." My response is always, "so have I." While we may have come to the same conclusion, it means something very different for us. My friends have concluded that religion as they know it is really not relevant or rational and pursuing it is somewhat a waste of time, while I have concluded that my relationship with Jesus is not about religion and is worth everything. Here is one way to look at this difference.

Many acorns fall from an oak tree, but only a few become an oak tree. I am totally amazed that all acorns do not become a tree, given they have the same opportunity, and even more amazed that I have no idea why the acorn that becomes a tree is the one that does. Basically, I am at a loss for explanation. However, i am fully aware of the truth that many acorns die and just absorb into the soil, never to produce more life while some acorns die as an acorn only to become a greater life, a tree that is way more than an acorn. I can trust that some acorns are selected to become trees leaving many others to die forever. I may not like that all acorns do not become trees but I am very thankful that some do, realizing that some power way beyond me makes that choice.

It doesn't seem that the acorn that lives on to become a tree does anything different than the other acorns. There is no special trick or work that the acorn can choose to become a tree. Acorns do not choose where they fall, whether they get destroyed by squirrels or the elements of nature. Many acorns have the same opportunity to become a tree, but some do and some don't. Further, the acorn doesn't really have to figure out how to become a tree. The acorn just does what's natural to it once the seed dies and the tree begins.

So, how should the acorn that becomes a tree feel. Should the acorn resent the power that selected it to become a tree and left others out, or should it be grateful it was selected? Acorn "religion" would be the attempt for acorns to pursue the power that can make them a tree and win its favor. But this is futile because acorns are somewhat powerless to win favor with the Power that makes them a tree.  

I have the same trust when it comes to life and death. I can trust that some power exist that makes a way for me to die and become an even greater life, while many others will die and receive no new life. But I have no way to explain it. I happen to believe that this power is God and the way I am transformed to a greater life rather than die to any greater life is by the work of God on my behalf. God has only one plan to convert me who has no potential on my own to produce a greater life. He sent His son Jesus to die and become this greater life so that when I receive this Jesus, I receive this power. Should I then resent the source of the Power or be thankful this Power made a way for me to live the greater life?

Thus, human "religion" is a similarly futile activity. God does not transform a person to a greater life because the person finds a way to gain favor with God, but by simply receiving in faith that he or she has been selected by God for this greater life and living in thanksgiving to God that He was gracious to select him or her. Once selected, there is no special work the person has to conjure up to become a "tree', but rather just play out the new life that came when the "acorn" seed died.

So, I am in agreement with my friends to move past religion. However, I can wish that God has selected them and that they don't know it yet. Moving past religion is a good first step, but it needs to be followed by receiving the new life of an oak tree bursting on the scene in their own life.

I am glad God is God and I am not .......

No comments:

Post a Comment