Sunday, April 13, 2014

Testimony of a "Disrupter"

A new book out on finding one's 5%, which is our Intentional Difference, the unique us made to make a difference, is an interesting context to reference an experience I had this week. I was meeting with an old colleague from the 1990's. I had moved on in 1999 to other things, never really looking back. He was sharing with me how several ideas I initiated in the 1990's in Coca-Cola Consolidated, which were totally disruptive then, are now dominant practices 20 years later. In fact the market-based pricing system, which replaced the industry norm of cost plus pricing and transformed the ability to grow sales and margin simultaneously, is now common practice throughout the entire Coca-Cola bottling network in the US. The company (which raised many eyebrows then) i started in early 1990's to support these initiatives is a thriving mainstay in what is now considered normal my thousands of peeps.

In reflecting over those years I also remember how Forest Hill Church had struggled in the early 1990's with strategic decisions of building a new building and planting churches. After several years of watching the leaders postpone the tough decisions, I became Clerk of Session. In that year under "disruptive" leadership the Session initiated steps to build a new sanctuary and to plant 5 churches. Both of these help define the present nature of the Church.

Neither of these impacts I had on organizations have benefited me personally, either economically or in public acclaim. I never sought either. I think the lesson from my life looking back to those who feel compelled to lead from their 5% (iDiff) is that we are not to expect an exchange of our 5% with the world for personal gain. The benefit of leading from the 5% is the joy we receive from being faithful to playing out what God has put in us.

Faithfulness not worldly significance is the fruit of Grace and the message of

No comments:

Post a Comment