Wednesday, June 6, 2012

making sense of "my new job"


This is the time of the year that I have former students starting their "big peep" job after graduation. I frequently get requests for perspective (since I don't give advice) on getting started in their new job. Young peeps beginning their careers are achievement oriented. they want to make a difference. They want to use all of the "great" knowledge and competencies they acquired in their time in college. They want their degree to make a difference in what they get to do and how employers view them.

So here are a few of the points I offer to help them gain a healthy perspective:
1. do anything and everything (within the law) that needs to be done and without being asked.
2. the early days of a new job are an interesting tension between a high motivation to achieve and a situation where you are too new to have integrated into the work flow and do not have enough to do - sooo be very patient with yourself, your co-workers, and your boss.
3.  learn how your business creates customers and start doing things that works toward that end, this makes you strategic.
4. don't be too quick to take credit for what you do but focus on making others successful.

I love seeing my recent students find their path, scratch the "itches of their soul", and soar in their young lives because they prepared themselves for great things and are now beginning that journey.

Its something I like to ponder .....

No comments:

Post a Comment