Saturday, April 30, 2011

Low TA's

There exists a personality trait called "tolerance for ambiguity." A person who is a high TA enjoys and is able to deal with uncertainty and situations that are not clear. Low TA's struggle to perform well when instructions are not clear or someone expects them to make sense out of situations that are unclear or have incomplete information. I am a high TA an so I am not inclined to have to fully explain what, how or why something is to be done or is the way it is. Just cast out a few indications and trust everyone will figure it out.

This gets me in trouble with low TA's (sometimes called dogmatic). They need clear cut answers or instructions. I can always tell when a student is low TA because they will ask me before the first test, "now, exactly how should I study for this test?" I just smile knowing I have given all kinds of hints, but have not "spelled it out in black or white" for them.

I know many low TA's who are lovely and special people. But they tend to play life very close to the vest, take little risks. They stay safe, but miss out on opportunities that could enrich their life. High TA's put a lot of pressure on low TA's to move out (make decisions) when evrything is not known. Its very possible that some of your relationships consist of this mix of TA's. You cant change it but recognizing the differences can remove some tension and help each other understand the other in more productive ways.

Low TA's - go for it!!
High TA's - take it easy on and be patient with the low TA's 

6 comments:

  1. At first I struggled greatly with comprehending why anyone would want to be categorized as a “Low TA.” Sometimes, as human beings, we only know what we know by experience. My experience in life has shaped me to become categorized as a “High TA”, a very dogmatic person.

    Why a “High TA”? Mainly out of fear of failure and the unknown. Some people want control and personally, I don’t like it when life catches me by surprise. (Control Issues)

    However, God has challenged me to “live by faith, not by sight.” In this department I’ve dragged my feet often against God, out of fear of the unknown. I would analyze, reanalyze, analyze some more and made sure all my ducks were in a row. At the end of the day no actually action was taken due to this anxiety of the unknown and over analyzing the situation (which is brought about by fear).

    Does God want us to prepare and plan? Yes, the bible says so, but there are times when we must take the leap of Faith. We must not fear uncertainty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I struggled greatly with comprehending why anyone would want to be categorized as a “High TA.” Sometimes, as human beings, we only know what we know by experience. My experience in life has shaped me to become categorized as a “Low TA”, a very dogmatic person.

    Why a “Low TA”? Mainly out of fear of failure and the unknown. Some people want control and personally, I don’t like it when life catches me by surprise. (Control Issues)

    However, God has challenged me to “live by faith, not by sight.” In this department I’ve dragged my feet often against God, out of fear of the unknown. I would analyze, reanalyze, analyze some more and made sure all my ducks were in a row. At the end of the day no actually action was taken due to this anxiety of the unknown and over analyzing the situation (which is brought about by fear).

    Does God want us to prepare and plan? Yes, the bible says so, but there are times when we must take the leap of Faith. We must not fear uncertainty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had it right with the first posting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I had it right with the second posting. It's been a long semester (attribution theory)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, U had it right with the first posting. Its low TA's that struggle with uncertainty. No one tries to be one or the other, personality is a trait and in our "design". I would agree low TA's may have more of an up hill battle with faith gievn their discomfort with uncertainty, thus a need to avoid new situations or a desire to grab control (see "control freak" blog.
    So U pretty much got it right with the low TA post but need to remember, our personality is what it is, it is either good nor bad, its just our natural tendencies which makes our flesh seem sooooooo normal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a difference between "what is" and "what should be." The bible prescribes certain human behaviors and thinking. Regrettably, since I’m not totally like Jesus, certain aspects of my personality can be mired by sin.

    It is rather difficult to differentiate between what has been wired in by fate and was has been mired by sin.

    People’s lifestyles do affect their personality. You would have to reduce a person’s personality to its lowest denominator. (stripped of bad habits, perpetual sin…etc.)

    In management it seems like the higher you go up the managerial ladder, the higher TA becomes. Specifics become more of generalities and leadership becomes more concerned with the overall mission statement.

    ReplyDelete